- Your choice of fabric for your placemats (we used four different types)
- Giant ric-rac (enough to use as an edge for each of your placemats)
- Thread to match your fabric
- Heat proof lining - we used Insul-Bright
- Sewing machine
- Start by measuring and cutting the material for the front and back pieces of your placemats. Our placemats measured 12 x 17 inches as we felt that this was a good size to hold a large dinner plate.
- We used two cardboard heart – shaped templates cut to the size we wanted for the decorative hearts on the front. You can use any size you like for the decorative hearts. Personally I would advise sticking to the size recommended that we used for our placemats as they have worked really well.
- We hemmed the two hearts together and then hemmed them on to the front piece of the placemat fabric.
- Placing one of the pieces of fabric, right side up, on a table we put the ric-rac trim in place along three of the edges and then put the other side of the placemat on top, right side down. We pinned in place and hemmed three sides together. Making sure we left one end open to insert the heat-proof lining.
- Having sewn it all up we turned it the right way out and this is what we were left with.
- Using the end that we had left open we inserted the heat-proof lining in to the placemat.
- And then closed up the open end by putting the final length of ric-rac in place and hemming/sewing it all up shut!
- We then sewed over the top of the whole placemat – a simple straight stitch in rows – to create a quilted effect. This also works to keep the lining in place and makes them even easier to wash.
By adding a heat-proof lining I can use these placemats all the time and certainly not only on Valentine’s Day. they are bright enough to have out all year round and may even make an appearance at Christmastime, I’m sure.
But for now these four placemats are playing host to some chocolate cupcakes.
Have a wonderful weekend. Robert and I are in town this weekend with me intending to raid Mamas & Papas in the name of Valentine’s Day and Selfridges in the name of keeping me sane! Although by the looks of things I may be crushed by ‘Team Andre’.
He won’t be by the MAC counter though will he?
I’m loving the questions and the chat that is starting to occur over on my Facebook fan page. We’re always there to answer any questions you may have.
Join my Facebook page!
Feel free to add me to your links list. Here it is ! - http://www.cherrymenlove.com/