- 500g free range organic Pork mince
- 150g plain tofu
- 1 tablespoon of groundnut/peanut oil
- 1 large clove of garlic - minced
- 3 large handfuls of coarsely chopped coriander/cilantro (stalks included)
- 1 tsp of lazy chilies
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 large handful of coarsely chopped peanuts
Spicy Pork, Tofu & Coriander/Cilantro Rice Recipe
I remember reading about how Nigella Lawson would go to a restaurant, try a dish and then take the menu home so that she could recreate it herself. I’m not sure if this was true but if it was then in true Nigella style I came home from holiday with the taste of a dish still in my mouth and tried to recreate it in my own kitchen. When we first arrived in Las Vegas, having been awake for twenty four hours we went to a place called Chopstix in the Bellagio hotel for a bite to eat before we crashed. I had a stupid dish of chicken and rice. Literally, chicken breast (dry) and rice (white). Robert the Husband however had Spicy Pork and Tofu. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!
There he was delving in to what looked like an oasis in a dessert to me while I just sat and stared at my chicken breast (dry) and rice (white). I vowed to make his dish as soon as we returned home. And I did. And it was good.
So here it is.
Serves two large portions / four small portions
- Heat the oil in a wok or a large frying pan until it is very hot
- Add the pork mince, garlic and chili and stir fry mixing all those flavors together. This should only take three to four minutes
- Add the tofu (chopped in to bite sized pieces), oyster sauce and fish sauce and stir fry for another three minutes
- Remove from the heat and throw in two handfuls of the coriander/cilantro. Stir in well.
- Dish up in to bowls or plates and sprinkle the remaining coriander/cilantro onto the tops of the portions along with a sprinkling of peanuts
- Serve immediately
I recently tripled the quantities of ingredients and made this dish as a side for a bar-b-q we had at the house.
Every grain of rice was cleared from that plate…….and not by me!
Do try it!!
See you later on for another dish that we tucked in to this past Sunday. It may be the start of something new.