When we moved in to this house the room that is now my walk-in pantry was an office and the boxes on the wall were used for filing etc.. The boxes are awfully sweet and really quite useful but as I was going to be using them for ‘food stuffs’ I felt I wanted to add some sort of curtain to the front of them. As we well know the insides of cupboards can sometimes get a little chaotic so covering them up is not always such a bad thing. I made myself busy by making a really basic, and easy, curtain for the front of each cupboard.
As my theme for the pantry is the 1950′s, I decided on some pink and green polka dot fabric and some fun Sundae patterned fabric. All of the fabric designs being just right for the kind of look and feel I want to create.
- Measuring up. As a rule when I make curtains I usually double the size of the fabric for the area I am covering. However, because the fabric I was using for this project was quite thick and the curtains would be quite short I used one and half times the fabric size instead.
- I hemmed and pinned the top and the sides of the fabric piece and then held it up to the cupboard I was covering so I could get a more accurate measurment of the length of curtain I wanted.
- When I was happy with the length, I placed a few pins in a horizontal row which I used as my guide so I knew where I had to hem to.
- I then hemmed and pinned the length of the curtain and set about sewing all my hems in place
- I decided to sew on a pencil pleat curtain tape along the top hem which allowed me to create the gathered look I wanted
- As my cupboards are too small to attach a proper curtain rail I decided that I would attach the curtains using some sticky backed velcro
- I have used this method before on some pelmets I made for my hallway and it really is a great way of attaching any light fabric curtains that do not need to be opened/drawn.
Tip: I used velcro pencil pleat tape which is specially created so that it can be stuck directly onto velcro; most fabric stores will stock this type
(Ooops! I left a bit of curtain tape string hanging out!)
- After all of the curtains had been made and all the velcro was stuck onto the cupboards in the desired position I then stuck the curtains on.,
- Making sure that they were all evenly gathered to create the ruche effect I wanted.
And here they are, a step closer to achieving the 1950′s inspired pantry I wanted. We’re in the process of moving everything back in to the pantry and arranging it all nicely. I’ll be back with a full reveal and a freebie for you guys within the next couple of weeks.
This was meant to be my Autumn project and we’re scariy close to Winter so I had better get a move on. BESIDES, I can tell we’ll be filling it with Christmas foods in the not so distant future and I want to start from a clean, organised and tidy place.
That’s the plan anyway.
See you tomorrow.
Join my Facebook page!
Feel free to add me to your links list. Here it is ! - http://www.cherrymenlove.com/